Getting food stamps for the first time:
In order to get Supplemental Nutritional Assistance (SNAP)/food stamps in Connecticut , you must meet the general Federal eligibility requirements, which include:
- You must have a Social Security Number or apply for one.
- You must be a U.S citizen, U.S. national, or have qualified alien status.
- You must register for work if between the ages of 18 and 60, which may include an employment training program. (Some college students may be eligible as well.)
In addition, your household income must be below certain levels in order to qualify. The limits are different based on how many people are in your household — it can be difficult to understand how exactly the limits are calculated, so you may want to use this screener to get a better understanding if your household would qualify.
If you think you do qualify (or you’re still not sure), apply for benefits in one of the following ways:
- Online: Go to http://www.connect.ct.gov/ and look for the “Apply For Benefits” button.
- By Phone or In Person: Contact your local Department of Social Services office either by visiting the office or calling.